|Business School / Provider||Southern Cross University (SCU)|
|Commencements||January, March, April, July, August, October|
Southern Cross University Online MBA Course Overview
With a Southern Cross University online MBA, you’ll develop both the business know-how and the practical skills to advance your career or build your own business.
You’ll examine contemporary management and develop solutions to complex commercial situations all through the prism of the fast-paced, ever-evolving global digital economy. The course is designed to enable you to get the most out of the program while fitting study seamlessly around work, family, and other priorities. It is 100% online.
You can begin at one of six times throughout the year, and adjust your workload to suit your schedule. You study broadly across a comprehensive suite of business disciplines, and take one of four specialisations to gain the deep knowledge you need to enhance your professional expertise.
You’ll undertake a practical research project in your workplace to reinforce your learning and to apply that learning in a real business environment. Along with specialist industry capabilities, you’ll develop the soft skills employers crave and businesses need; leadership, problem solving and communication.
Four foundation units give you a solid grounding in the basic principles of business and management. If you have a relevant undergraduate degree or work experience, you could receive these as advanced standing and complete the course in two-years while studying part-time. If you want to build the foundations of your business knowledge, take the full course (16 units). You can still graduate in under three years studying part-time.
Southern Cross University MBA Program Structure
To be awarded the Master of Business Administration students must complete 16 units (192 credit points) comprising, 12 core units; and 1 specialisation or 2 elective units and MNG93217 Industry Research Project: Part A and MNG93218 Industry Research Project: Part B.
Core Units include:
- MNG81002 – Management Communication (Online)
- MNG82210 – Organisational Behaviour (Online)
- ECO82210 – Economics and Quantitative Analysis (Online)
- ACC81210 – Accounting for Managers (Online)
- MKT82210 – Marketing (Online)
- ACC91210 – Finance for Managers (Online)
- ACC93210 – Corporate Governance for Managers (Online)
- MNG91211 – The Positive Leader (Online)
- MNG91217 – Project Management Principles
- MNG92210 – Global Business (Online)
- MNG93210 – Strategy and Case Analysis (Online)
- MNG93211 – Managing Information Systems (Online)
All students study eight core units, and all produce an industry research project, situated in their choice of industry. This enables students to apply their new skills to their existing workplace, or test the waters in an industry to which they aspire. If you choose, you can replace the specialisation with two elective units to acquire a less specialised but more expansive understanding of leadership and management.
A typical study period at SCU Online lasts seven weeks with multiple assessments throughout the course.
Melinda Hutchings tells us why she chose to study an MBA online with Southern Cross University.
Minimum entry requirements for the online Master of Business Administration include:
- A Bachelor degree from any Australian university, or equivalent; or
- Have work experience regarded as equivalent to an eligible degree; and
- Be proficient in English
Studying online requires:
- A PC or Mac with the latest operating system
- A fast, reliable internet connection
- The latest version of Internet Explorer, Chrome or Firefox
- The Blackboard app
Sometimes, specific software or textbooks are required, depending on the degree studied.